Wadesboro is located in the southern Piedmont, about 13 miles from the South Carolina border on U.S. Highway 74 and U.S. Highway 52 running east-west and N.C. Highway 109 running north-south. It sits about mid way between the mountains of NC and the ocean front of NC.
Established in 1783 as the county seat, Wadesboro was called New Town until 1787 when the name was changed to honor Revolutionary War patriot Col. Thomas Wade. Wade's brother-in-law, Patrick Boggan, was a pioneer settler. Future president Andrew Jackson was issued his license to practice law from the County Court of Anson; and future judge Samuel Spencer's first law office was in the new log courthouse. In 1900, scientists from the United States and Europe gathered in Wadesboro to observe a total eclipse of the sun.